Onkyo TX-NR656 AV Receiver w/ Wharfedale DX-1SE Speaker Package 5.1
Man. Part No.: TX-NR656
Onkyo TX-NR656 w/ Wharfedale DX-1SE (5.1)
Onkyo TX-NR656 AV Receiver
- DTS:X™* and Dolby Atmos® Support
- Wireless Audio Playback with Google Cast™* and AirPlay
- Bluetooth Audio / Wi-Fi® with Spotify and Tidal*
- HDMI® 8 In / 2 Out Including 1 Front (HDCP 2.2 / HDR)
- FireConnect™ Multi-room Audio* **
- AccuEQ Calibration Featuring AccuReflex Technology
7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
Set Your Home Entertainment to “EPIC”
Unbeatable features meet unbeatable sound in the TX-NR656, a state-of-the-art A/V powerhouse that revolutionizes entertainment. Check it out: DTS:X™* and Dolby Atmos® decoding with advanced AccuReflex phase calibration for crystal-clear object-based audio; Google Cast™*, AirPlay, and Wi-Fi® with Spotify and Tidal* for music on demand; and FireConnect™ multi-room audio that sends any A/V receiver source to a wireless speaker in another room* **. Select HDMI® terminals support 4K/60 Hz/HDR/HDCP 2.2, while the 32-bit DAC extracts all the depth and detail of Hi-Res Audio. Unlike other products, the TX-NR656 has high-current Dynamic Audio Amplification to accurately control and drive your speakers with phenomenal clarity. Whether it’s pulling you deep into Middle Earth, waking the neighbors with Fallout 4, or pumping out the latest on Spotify, the TX-NR656 rekindles passion for the things you love.
* Firmware update / ** optional Onkyo wireless speaker required
- Wireless Audio Streaming with Google Cast™ and AirPlay
- Bluetooth Audio / Wi-Fi® with Spotify and Tidal
- HDMI® 8 In / 2 Out Including 1 Front (HDCP 2.2 / HDR)
- Dynamic Audio Amplification for Realistic Sound
- AccuEQ Room Calibration with AccuReflex Technology
- FireConnect™ Multi-Room Technology
- Phono Input and Hi-Res Audio Playback
- 384 kHz/32-bit Hi-Grade DAC
* Firmware update required
- Supports Dolby Atmos® Format for Exciting Multidimensional Sound
- 4K/60 Hz-Capable 4:4:4 HDMI® Terminals for UltraHD Entertainment*1
- Supports HDCP 2.2 and HDR for Future 4K/Full HD Video Streaming and Broadcast*2
- Built-in Wi-Fi® Certified Wireless LAN Capability
- Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR Capability (Compatible Profile: A2DP v1.2, AVRCP v1.3) with Advanced Music Optimizer DSP Technology
- Internet Radio and Music Streaming Subscription Services Included (TuneIn Radio, Pandora®, Spotify, Tidal, and Deezer)*3
- Play Compressed, Lossless, and Hi-Res Audio via Local Network (MP3, WMA, WMA Lossless, FLAC, WAV, AAC, Apple Lossless, DSD 5.6 MHz, and Dolby® TrueHD)
- Digital and Analog Audio Transmission to Optional Wireless Speaker via FireConnect™ Technology (Firmware update required)
- AccuEQ Room Calibration Featuring AccuReflex Technology for Seamless Object-based Sound from Compatible Speakers (Mic Included)
- Advanced Music Optimizer to Improve Compressed Digital Audio Quality (Bluetooth Audio Included)
- Control and Stream with Free Onkyo Remote Streaming Apps for iPod touch/iPhone*4 and Android™ Devices*5
- Powered Zone 2 and Zone 2 Line Out for Distributed Analog/Digital Audio Playback in Another Room
- Bi-Amping Capability for Front Channels
*1 6G video is supported on HDMI inputs 1/2/3, Main Out, and Sub Out. *2 HDCP 2.2 is supported on HDMI inputs 1/2/3, Main Out, and Sub Out. *3 Availability of services depends on region. Some services may require a paid subscription and firmware update. Availability of third-party services advertised here is accurate at the time of publication, but may be subject to change without notice. *4 Compatible with iPod touch (3rd generation or later) and iPhone 3GS or later. All models require iOS 4.2 or later. *5 Requires Android 2.1 or later.
- Dynamic Audio Amplification for a Thrilling Audio Experience
- H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
- High Current Amp Design to Effectively Drive the Speakers
- Non-Phase Shift Amp Circuits for Realistic Imaging
- VLSC™ for a Clear Audio Experience
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
- PLL (Phase Locked Loop) Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology for S/PDIF Audio
- Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™ Decoding
- AK4458 384 kHz/32-bit DAC (8 Channels x 1)
- 32-bit Digital Signal Processing Engines
- 4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG
- Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function
- Direct Mode
- Double Bass Function
- USB 2.0 Port
- Mass Storage Class USB Memory Playback Capability
- 2 Component Inputs
- 2 Composite Video Inputs
- 3 Digital Audio Inputs (2 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
- 8 Analog Audio Inputs (1 Front*/7 Rear)
- Phono Input for Turntable Connection
- 2 Parallel Subwoofer Pre-Outs
- Location-Numbered Speaker Terminals
* 3.5mm pin jack type.
- A/V Sync Control (Up to 500 ms in 5 ms Steps at 48 kHz)
- Graphical Overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) via HDMI with Quick Set-Up
- Hybrid Standby Function with HDMI Passthrough
- Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for Front L/R Channels
- 3-Mode Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
- 40 FM/AM Random Presets
- Firmware Updates via Ethernet and USB
- RIHD (Remote Interactive Over HDMI) for System Control
- Simple Remote Control
Discover the best in object-based surround-sound with Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™. Free from the traditional channel-based audio bed, sound flows above and around you in three dimensions for a movie and gaming experience that will take your breath away.
* Firmware update required
Wireless Audio Playback with Google Cast™* and AirPlay
TX-NR656, now with Google Cast™* and AirPlay, frees your music from your smartphone. You can stream your music stored in your phone or using Google Cast™ / AirPlay Compatible apps.
* Google Cast™ enabled via future firmware update. Please consult the Onkyo website for firmware update scheduling information.
Bluetooth Audio / Wi-Fi® with Spotify and Tidal*
In addition to Google Cast™ and AirPlay, stream virtually any audio from your smartphone, tablet, or PC to your home cinema for clear and powerful sound. Available internet radio and music subscription services include Pandora, Spotify and more.
* Support for some services including TIDAL and Deezer will be enabled via future firmware update. Please consult the Onkyo website for scheduling information as it becomes available.
FireConnect™ Multi-room Audio
A firmware update enables any audio source connected to the receiver—from vinyl to streaming audio—to be sent wirelessly via FireConnect™ to an optional speaker* placed anywhere in your home. Stable, fast, and easy to control with a mobile, it’s the smart way to set audio free.
* Unavailable at press time. Release date TBA. FireConnect™ by Blackfire Research Corp. is a stable wireless protocol that mirrors any audio source connected to the receiver—from vinyl to streaming audio—. Firmware update required.
HDMI® 8 In / 2 Out Including 1 Front (HDCP 2.2 / HDR)
Select HDMI terminals support 4K/60 Hz, as well as HDCP 2.2 and HDR for next-generation UltraHD streaming and broadcasting.
Dynamic Audio Amplification for Clear and Realistic Sound Reproduction
Power your speakers like never before with Onkyo’s Dynamic Audio Amplification. Sound comes alive thanks to accurate, noise-free signal processing and hi-current power that dynamically controls your speakers for precise, authentic audio reproduction.
Powered Zone 2 for Audio Playback in Second Room
TX-NR656 has Powered Zone 2 capability to bring audio to a second room connected to your A/V Receiver. Now with dedicated Zone 2 DAC, you can bring Digital Audio input sources such as Spotify to a second room.
Play Everything from Vinyl to Hi-Res Audio
Onkyo A/V receivers feature a dedicated Phono input for turntable connection as well as universal Hi-Res compatibility for ease of use. Use the remote app to locate your 192/24 and 96/24 albums (including 5.6 MHz DSD playback) on PC or NAS and bask in the clarity, depth, and detail of high-resolution music.
384 kHz/32-bit Hi-Grade DAC
A premium-quality AK4458 digital-to-analog converter from AKM unlocks the full potential of any audio format with unique low-distortion filtering technologies for clear sound.
AccuEQ Calibration Featuring AccuReflex Technology
AccuEQ equalizes the surround-sound to suit the room acoustics for crisply focused sound, while AccuReflex aligns the phase of upfiring “height” speakers with the sound coming directly from your other speakers. Any delay is resolved so that everything arrives at your ears at the same time. The result is cohesive reproduction of object-based soundtracks.
Wharfedale DX-1 SE Speaker Package
High-quality home cinema can be costly, both financially and in terms of the amount of space it consumes in your living room. For those seeking a more discreet, stylish and affordable solution for genuine surround sound, the DX-1SE 5.1 speaker system from Wharfedale is ideal.
The DX-1SE consists of four satellite speakers for the front and rear, plus a similarly diminutive centre speaker and a compact active subwoofer. The speakers take their design cues from the multi-award-winning Diamond standmount speakers, albeit shrunk to a much smaller size – the satellites are just 19cm high. The DX-1SE replaces the DX-1 HCP, a similarly diminutive speaker package that was universally praised for its excellent ‘sound-per-pound’ performance, earning five-star reviews in What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Home Cinema Choice magazines and scoring 9/10 on the Trusted Reviews website. The new package sports a number of improvements, including fine-tuned drivers, increased efficiency and redesigned cabinets with larger internal volumes. The result is improved bass response, more detail and greater sonic scale.
Each DX-1SE Satellite sports a 19mm silk dome tweeter and 75mm mid/bass driver with a woven polypropylene cone – woven polypropylene is used for its ideal combination of lightness, strength and rigidity. The enclosure is an infinite baffle (closed-box) design, which aids the speakers’ ability to be sited in close proximity to a wall without adversely affecting their performance.
The DX-1 Centre incorporates the same silk dome tweeter flanked by two 75mm mid/bass drivers. Its design includes a sophisticated aperiodic loading system consisting of a vent that is filled with resistive porous foam to control airflow. This aids bass response and contributes to a rich and detailed centre channel performance, a critical part of the surround sound experience.
The matching WH-D8 active subwoofer combines a 200mm long-throw bass cone with a 120W amplifier to deliver bass that’s fast, deep and well-defined from an extremely compact unit – just 328x268x322mm (HxWxD). The quality of the subwoofer’s design ensures it integrates superbly with the other speakers in the package, without any hint of bass bloating or overhang. It also sports an ‘auto-power’ facility, automatically switching out of standby when a signal is sensed and back again when it stops.
Available in high-gloss black or high-gloss white, the DX-1SE 5.1 speaker package delivers smart, space-saving contemporary style and exhilarating sound for both movies and music – fast, punchy and detailed, with a sense of scale that belies the diminutive size of the speakers. It’s the perfect way to enjoy authentic and engaging surround sound at a price more akin to a soundbar than a high-quality 5.1 speaker package.
“In the UK and around the world, there is high demand for compact 5.1 speaker systems that combine crisp, modern aesthetics with high-quality sound. In the DX-1SE we have incorporated elements from Wharfedale’s award-winning Diamond speakers to deliver a high-value package that is not only a delight in the home, but also extremely enjoyable to listen to. Modern movie soundtracks are exceptionally demanding, but we've made sure that this package is tailor-made for the job.”
Peter Comeau - Director of Acoustic Design
The Wharfedale DX-1SE 5.1 home cinema speaker package is available now and replaces the DX-1 HCP. An optional satellite expansion pack is also coming soon, ideal for those seeking to expand the 5.1 package to a 7.1 configuration.
|Description/Format||Two-way closed-box system|
|High-Frequency Drive Unit||1 x 19mm silk dome|
|Mid/Bass Drive Unit||1 x 75mm woven PP cone|
|Frequency Response||100Hz - 22kHz ±3dB|
|Recommended Amp (RMS)||20 - 100W|
|Description/Format||Two-way aperiodic system|
|High-Frequency Drive Unit||1 x 19mm silk dome|
|Mid/Bass Drive Unit||2 x 75mm woven PP cones|
|Frequency Response||80Hz - 22kHz ±3dB|
|Recommended Amp (RMS)||30 - 100W|
|Description/Format||Active dynamic driver IB subwoofer|
|Drive Unit||1 x 200mm long-throw driver|
|Frequency Response||40Hz - 120Hz ±3dB|
|Amplifier Power Output||120W RMS|
|Line Input Sensitivity||200mV for maximum output|
|Crossover Range||40Hz - 150Hz (adjustable)|
|Inputs||Stereo line in (2 x RCA phono)
LFE line in (RCA-phono)
|Signal-to-noise ratio (S/N)||85dB|
|Avg. Max Output @1m||105dB|
|Options||Auto-power; phase inversion|
|Manufacturer's Part No.||TX-NR656|
|Number of channels||7,2|
|Connections||3.5mm Mini-Jack, Analog, Bi-Wire, Component, Composite, Digital Coaxial, Digital Optical (TOSLINK), Ethernet, FM/AM, HDMI, Headphone, S-Video, Subwoofer, USB|
|Features||3.5mm Mini-Jack, 4K Passthrough, Airplay, Audio Return Channel (ARC), Automatic Speaker Calibration, Bi-Wire, Bluetooth (In-Built), Digital Optical, DLNA, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, Dynamic Volume Control, Ethernet, FM/AM, InstaPrevue, Internet Radio, MHL, Network (Internet), Remote Control App, Spotify, USB, WiFi (In-Built), WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology|
|Number of Drivers||N/A|
|Speaker Dimensions||(HxWxD): Satellites: 190x110x123mm/Centre: 110x292x123mm/Subwoofer: 328x268x322 mm|
|Amplifier Dimensions||(W x H x D): 435 x 173.5 x 378 mm|
|Warranty||Amplifier:2/Speakers: 5/Subwoofer: 2|
Save £278.99 £1,277.99£999.00 inc vat
Save £372.99 £1,321.99£949.00 inc vat
Save £492.99 £1,591.99£1,099.00 inc vat
Save £269.00 £1,148.00£879.00 inc vat
Finance options* to help you afford the product you want!
If your order value is £389.00 or over you will be given the option to buy on finance when you reach the checkout. We have two finance options available:
Buy Now Pay 6 Months Later
Buy Now Pay 12 Months Later
Please Note: A minimum 10% deposit is payable up front on credit or debit card on all finance orders.
How to Apply
Applying for finance is simple. All you need to do is call us on 0800 634 4484 during opening hours and we will be able to process your order.
Who is the finance agreement with?
The finance agreement is with Hitachi Consumer Credit, one of the largest money lenders in the UK.
*Finance is available to UK applicants 18 years of age or older and subject to status. Finance is not available for business customers. Prices are correct at time of going to press and are subject to change during the term of this offer without notice. Terms and conditions are available on request. Finance agreements are available on orders between £389 and £10,000 (including VAT and shipping). Please ensure you are able to keep up repayments of any finance package taken.
Now Group UK Ltd trading as Exceptional AV operates under a Consumer Credit Licence, No. 560813.
This licence is issued by The Director General of Fair Trading at the Office of Fair Trading in accordance with the Consumer Credit Act 1974.