TEAC AI/PD/UD-501 System
Man. Part No.: AI-501
TEAC AI-501DA & UD-501 & PD-501HR
Integrated Amplifier with 192kHz USB Audio Input
High-Quality Sound in a Modern Hi-Fi System The Smarter Way
- High-quality sound, high output power, and low power consumption with an efficient Class-D Amplifier by
- ABLETEC, Norway.
- USB cable connection for a fully digital path from any PC, allowing playback of better-than-CD quality sound.
- BurrBrown PCM5102 D/A Converter for various types of digital audio formats.
- Large number of Input/Output connectors allows users to integrate with full-scale hi-fi system.
- A Toroidal-Core Power Transformer for stable current supply.
- Full-metal jacket. Gorgeous aluminum panels for front, top and sides. Small footprint fits your desktop
- ALC0180 Class-D Power Amplifier by ABLETEC, Norway
- 90W/ch of output power (at 4 ohms impedance)
- Supports up to 24bit/192kHz USB Audio input
- Supports up to 24bit/192kHz Coaxial S/PDIF digital audio input
- Supports up to 24bit/96kHz Optical S/PDIF digital audio input
- Internal 32bit processing on the BurrBrown PCM5102 D/A Converter
- Toroidal-core Power Transformer
- Schottky Barrier diodes for power supply circuits
- Full-metal body
- Dual analog level meters with dimmable backlight
- Headphone amplifier that employs two operational amplifiers
- 1 USB Audio input
- 2 Optical S/PIDF digital inputs
- 1 Coaxial S/PDIF digital input
- 2 RCA analog line inputs
- Screw-type speaker terminals (AWG8 compatible)
- Headphone out
- Aluminum-weighted volume knob
- Remote control
- 3-polar AC socket with a detachable AC cable
Integrated Class-D Amplifier by ABLETEC, Norway: Achieves High-Quality Sound, High Output Power, and Low Power Consumption.
After month of technical research for an amp with high-quality sound and high output power to drive a full-scale speaker system with low power consumption, the ALC0180 Digital Power Amplifier module, manufactured by ABLETEC, Norway, was decided on to compliment the AI-501DA. Delivering a maximum of 90W + 90W of output power at a maximum 55W of power consumption, users are able to enjoy powerful sound without hesitation. Furthermore this next generation integrated amplifier consumes only 10W in idling mode, and 0.2W at power-saving standby mode.
Fully Digital Path via USB Cable allows 192kHz High-Res Audio Playback
Just connecting a USB cable between any Mac/Windows-PC and the AI-501DA, a variety of audio formats can be transferred in a fully digital manner. Once the driver software is installed, your playlist iTunes or Windows Media Player turn into part of your high-quality audio system. This allows 24bit/192kHz data transfer mode reduces jitter noise while the digital data travels along the USB cable.
BurrBrown PCM5102 D/A Converter for a Variety of Digital Sources
The AI-501DA employs the highly celebrated BurrBrown PCM5102, allowing 32bit processing across the USB audio input, Optical and Coaxial digital inputs. Parts were carefully selected for the analog circuits. The unit utilizes high-quality operational-amplifiers and electrolytic capacitors already proven on previous high-end models.
Large Capacity Toroidal-Core Power Transformer
An over-sized Toroidal-core power transformer helps deliver high-quality sound without sacrificing energy-efficiency and the units compact dimensions. Conventional diodes produce rectification noise that negatively affects the sound of other units. To combat this, TEAC installed Schottky Barrier Diodes to supply a cleaner internal current and reduce rectification noise.
High-Quality Headphone Output Processed by an Exclusive Operational Amplifier on Each Channel
The AI-501DA is also designed for headphone listening, as well as speaker listening. An exclusive operational amplifier is employed on each channel. Conventional hi-fi systems only use a single operational amplifier for both channels.
No Cooling-Fan, for Quiet Operation
Effort to eliminate the signal to noise ratio and ensure high-quality audio playback mean nothing with a noisy cooling fan. To reach both goals to attain high performance and compact dimensions, TEAC carefully arranged the inner-workings to eliminate the need of a fan. There are two parameters that conflict with efficient heat dissipation, the circuit design and chassis design. After careful strategy, effective placement of potential heat-generating components allows this high-performance compact amplifier to operate without cooling fan.
A Full-Metal Construction and Small Footprint for Any Desktop Set-up
Not only the front panel, both side and top panels are made of aluminum panels and attached to a robust steel chassis. These heavy parts eliminate vibrations, and allow all internal circuits to always perform under stable conditions. An A4-size body allows users to place the unit small spaces. The AI-501DA defines a new standard that fits all modern interior with great space-saving design and a timeless presence.
Large Number Input/Output Allow Users to Integrate Full-Scale Hi-Fi System
The AI-501DA provides sufficient number of audio inputs allowing users to integrate full-scale hi-fi systems with both existing and future expansions. The device is equipped with two optical inputs and one coaxial input, along with two analog (two stereo) audio inputs. A set of large biding-post speaker terminals accommodates high-grade speaker cables up to AWG8 grade. A detachable AC cable with a 3-polar socket also allows user to upgrade to a high-grade AC cable.
Well designed User Interface
A firm-torqued volume with a machined aluminum knob, and toggle type main power switch give the user assured operation. The remote control gives the unit an elegant appearance and very precise volume control, paces of approximately 1.5dB. To help contribute to the musical atmosphere is the classiest characteristic of the AI-501DA, the dimmable backlight, and dual analog meters.
Digital to Analogue Converter
DSD 5.6MHz / PCM 384kHz capable Dual Monaural D/A Converter
Pioneering the sound frontier with state - of - the art technology
- Supports DSD 2.8/5.6MHz file native playback by ASIO 2.1 or DoP methods.
- Supports up to 32bit/384kHz PCM audio playback
- Dual monaural design from the power supply unit (Troidal-core), DAC to operational amplifier.
- High-standard parts: BurrBrown PCM1795 and MUSES8920 for high-quality sound.
- Energy efficient green-technology design: Max power consumption, 13W and an auto power-saving mode.
- Full-metal jacket. Gorgeous aluminum panels for front, top and sides. Small footprint fits your desktop.
- Supports DSD 2.8/5.6MHz playback (via USB)
- Supports PCM 32bit/384kHz playback (via USB)
- Supports PCM 24bit/192kHz playback (Coaxial)
- Supports up to 24bit/96kHz playback (Optical)
- Supports DSD native playback by ASIO2.1 and DoP method
- Exclusive driver software for Windows
- Standard driver software for Mac
- Asynchronous transfer mode
- 4 analog filters (playback USB, DSD)
- 3 digital filters (playback USB, PCM)
- Non-integral up-conversion to 192kHz, when input signal is less than 192kHz (On/Off selectable)
- Throughout dual monaural design from power transformer to output section
- Two toroidal-core power transformers
- Two BurrBrown PCM1795
- Four MUSES8920 operational amplifier
- Parallel buffer for RCA output
- Power supply to USB circuit is switchable
- Lineout circuit can be disabled when headphone is used.
- Low power consumption (MAX 13W)
- Auto power saving mode (On/Off switchable)
- Display mode switchable (Show Up-conversion mode and selected filter)
- Line out switchable (XLR or RCA)
- Polarity change on XLR (2=HOT or 3=Hot)
- Full metal body
- Organic EL Display with Dimmer
- 1 USB audio input
- 2 Optical Inputs
- 2 Coaxial Inputs
- 1 Stereo RCA/XLR
- 3-polar AC socket with a detachable AC cable
DSD 2.8/5.6MHz Native File Playback by ASIO 2.1 or DoP
Both 2.8/5.6MHz DSD files are processed in native mode to properly convert DSD into an analog signal, and skipping PCM conversion in between. ASIO2.1 and DoP (DSD over PCM) playback are also supported. (Mac supports DoP only, with standard driver)
Up to 32bit/384kHz PCM File Playback
With PCM file format, up to 32bit/384kHz is supported.
Asynchronous Transfer Mode
By ignoring clock signal from a PC, transfer timing is controlled by more accurately, nearly eliminating clock-noise and allowing digital data to travel un-affected.
Variety of Settings to Match Your Preference
Three types of digital filters are provided for PCM playback, while 4 types of cut-off filters are provided for DSD playback. Also, shutting down unnecessary circuits USB circuit when S/PDIF inout is selected, or Line Out circuit when Headphone is connected for purer audio processing.
Reducing Jitter Noise by 192kHz Up-Converting
With a PCM file sampling at a frequency less than 192kHz, users are able to convert up to 192kHz in order to reduce jitter noise, or keep the original sampling rate to enjoy the original sound.
Dual Monaural Circuits to Eliminate Signal Interference and Maximize Performance
Every single part, the digital, analog sections, the DAC and the operational amplifiers are designed in dual monaural design to eliminate interfering noise to other channels. This maximizes their potential, and achieves a purer audio processing signal.
32bit Compatible BurrBrown PCM1795 on Each Channel
Celebrated BurrBrown PCM1795 is employed on each channel. With the PCM1795 alone, it supports 32bit processing is supported with 123dB S/N Ratio. Dual MUSES8920 Operational Amplifier on Each Channel
Two MUSES8920 operational amplifiers are employed on each channel. The MUSES8920 was developed for hi-fi components to delivers clear 3-dimensional sound.
Individual Toroidal-core Power Transformer on Each Channel Maintaining Total Dual Monaural Design
The two toroidal-core power transformers are highly energy efficient and offer a stable current supply. Employing them on both the left and right channel ensures that current is delivered to each channel, exclusively.
RCA Output with Parallel Buffer for Better Drivability
Two operational amplifiers are connected parallel with the lineout circuit section to improve drivability of lineout signal. This helps achieve more of a linear analog output signal, than any other known method.
A full-metal body, small footprint that can be placed on a desktop
Not only the front panel, but both the side and top panels are constructed of aluminum and attached to a robust steel chassis. These heavy parts eliminate vibrations, and allow all internal circuits to always perform under stable conditions. An A4-size body allows the UD-501 to fit any small space. The Reference 501 series defines a new standard to fit all modern interior, with great space-saving design and a timeless presence.
Large Number of Inputs/Outputs for Full-Scale Hi-Fi System Integration
The UD-501 provides two optical and coaxial digital inputs, one pair of XLR and one pair of RCA analog audio outputs. The RCA lineout jacks have an exclusive clearance zone, so a high grade pin cable with a large shell is able to be connected.
The output terminal is selectable: -RCA or XLR; the XLR connectors have switchable polarity, 2=HOT or 3=HOT. A detachable AC cable with 3-polar socket also allows user to upgrade to a high-grade AC cables.
CD Player with 5.6MHz DSD-file-recorded Disc Native Playback
Enjoy high-resolution audio without the need for a PC connection.
- Supports DSD file playback on recordable DVD disc, 5.6MHz dsf file native playback without PC connection.
- Supports 24bit/192kHz PCM file playback
- Unique vibration control mechanism, VACS (Vibration Acoustic Control Structure).
- Separated power supply units for analog and digital sections, and high-quality parts such as the Cirrus Logic CS4398.
- Energy efficient green technology: Max 11W of power consumption and an automatic power saving mode.
- Full-metal jacket. Gorgeous aluminium panels for front, top and sides. Small footprint fits your desktop.
- Supports 2.8/5.6MHz DSD-file-recorded disc playback (dsf format on recordable DVD discs)
- Supports 24bit/192kHz PCM disc playback (wav format on recordable CD/DVD discs)
- Supports CD-DA disc
- Center-mount mechanism design with slot-in drive
- VACS vibration control stabilize mechanism
- Cirrus Logic CS4398 D/A Converter
- BlackFin processor for signal processing
- JRC NJM5532 for operational amplifier
- Separated power supply for digital and analog sections
- Schottky Barrier Diodes for stable current supply
- Pure mode for DSD/PCM processing
- 6-layer glass epoxy circuit boards for simplified signal paths
- Max 11 watts of low power consumption
- Auto power saving mode (user selectable)
- Repeat play (1/All/Folder), Shuffle play, Max 99 tracks program play
- Full metal body
- Organic EL display with dimmer
- 1 Optical digital output
- 1 Coaxial digital output
- 1 Analog unbalanced RCA output
- Remote control
- 3-polar AC socket with a detachable AC cable
5.6MHz DSD-file-recorded Disc Playback without the Need for a PC Connection
The PD-501HR plays back DSD files recorded to DVD discs, eliminating the need for any PC. Conventional DVD writing software is capable of burning DSD-file-recorded discs, by writing dsf files to recordable DVD discs (DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW). (SACD disc is not supported on the PD-501HR.)
DSD Native Playback by Pure Mode
Conventional DSD processors convert PCM files prior to converting to an analog signal. The PD-501HR employs a Pure Mode, processing DSD into an analog signal directly. This lets you enjoy pure DSD sound that normal PCM-conversion cant.
24bit/192kHz PCM File Playback
The PD-501HR also supports PCM file (wav format) and up to 24bit/192kHz of high-resolution audio without the need for a PC connection.
Unique Vibration Control Mechanism VACS Vibration Acoustic Control Structure
While reading signals from a rating disc, vibrations may cause a read error and negatively affect the sound quality by missing some of the original data on the disc. To eliminate vibrations and reach perfect data reading, the PD-501HR employs a unique vibration control mechanism, VACS, for a smooth rotation. After dozens of evaluation tests the VACS instrument was chosen and fixed to the drive of the unit in order to achieve the best possible performance.
Cirrus Logics Flagship DSD-Supported DAC CS4398
A cerebrated CS4398 by Cirrus Logic is utilized to achieve 120dB of dynamic range. The CS4398 also employs un-damped volume control and a Mismatch Shaping Technology to eliminate distortion caused by capacitor mismatching.
JRC NJM5532 for Operational Amplifier on Analog Section
The field-proven and well-reputed JRCs NJM5532 operational amplifier has been applied to the analog circuits.
6-layer Circuit Boards to Simplify Signal Paths
In order to reduce the signal paths throughout the circuits, each part has been carefully laid out on 6-layer glass-epoxy motherboards. This design reduces and simplifies the signal paths and helps improve the sound quality.
Separated Power Supply Units for Digital and Analog Sections. Cleaner Power Supply by Schottky Barrier Diodes.
Separate power supply units for the digital and analog sections help prevent digital noise that can leak across the sections over the current. Schottky Barrier Diodes are also employed on the rectifier circuit to supply cleaner current by eliminating rectification noise.
Excellent Audio Performance
By engaging various technologies and know-hows learned over decades the PD-501HR is one of the highest performing CD players with 20-80kHz of frequency response, 116dB of S/N ratio, 118dB dynamic range, and 0.004% of THD on PCM playback.
Max Power Consumption: 11W Green Technology
In keeping with the rest of the Reference 501 series, the PD-501HR also maintains low power consumption without sacrificing sound quality. With a maximum 11W of power consumption, a selectable power saving mode and 0.1W of power consumption during standby, the PD-501HR can truly be called green technology.
A Full-Metal Construction and A4-sized Small Footprint for Any Desktop Set-up
Not only the front panel, both side and top panels are made of aluminium and attached to a robust steel chassis. These heavy parts eliminate vibrations and allow all internal circuits to always perform under stable conditions. An A4-sized body allows users to place the unit in small spaces. The PD-501HR defines a new standard that fits all modern interior with great space-saving design and a timeless presence.
Well-Designed User Interface
TEAC understands that having higher specifications and high-quality sound are not enough for authentic hi-fi units. Creating easy-to-use enjoyable products is another mission of the Reference 501 series. Spun metal finished transport buttons with short stroke and an easy-to-recognize toggle switch gives the user assured operation. Even the remote control is designed for a luxurious finish.
|Manufacturer's Part No.||AI-501|
|Connections||Analog, Digital Coaxial, Digital Optical (TOSLINK)|
|Number of channels||2|
|Number of Decks||No|
|Amplifier Dimensions||290 x 81.2 x 264|
|Cd Player Dimensions||290 x 81.2 x 264|
|Unit Dimensions||290 x 81.2 x 264|
Finance options* to help you afford the product you want!
If your order value is £389.00 or over you will be given the option to buy on finance when you reach the checkout.
Please note that not all products are available on finance.
We have two finance options available:
Buy Now Pay 6 Months Later
Buy Now Pay 12 Months Later
Please Note: A minimum 10% deposit is payable up front on credit or debit card on all finance orders.
How to Apply
Applying for finance is simple. All you need to do is call us on 0800 634 4484 during opening hours and we will be able to process your order.
Who is the finance agreement with?
The finance agreement is with Hitachi Consumer Credit, one of the largest money lenders in the UK.
*Finance is available to UK applicants 18 years of age or older and subject to status. Finance is not available for business customers. Prices are correct at time of going to press and are subject to change during the term of this offer without notice. Terms and conditions are available on request. Finance agreements are available on orders between £389 and £10,000 (including VAT and shipping). Please ensure you are able to keep up repayments of any finance package taken.
Now Group UK Ltd trading as Exceptional AV operates under a Consumer Credit Licence, No. 560813.
This licence is issued by The Director General of Fair Trading at the Office of Fair Trading in accordance with the Consumer Credit Act 1974.